Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Does anybody know about this song?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member BigMike061668's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a bootleg cd of Social D entitled "Out of The Gutter" and there is a song on the CD entitled "Shame on Me" and I was wondering if anybody knows if it is a cover or not. If it is a cover who did it originally? Thanks for any info.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Glenn Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2003
    Posts
    784
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, "Shame On Me" is an old obscure rockabilly tune done by whom I forgot the arist's name. I also remember Ness saying that it was written sometime in the late 1950's. I got a "newer" version of Social Distortion doing it again during the sessions for "Sex, Love and Rock and Roll". It's incredible! It's my favorite cover that they do along with The Stones' "Backstreet Girl"...

  3. #3
    Inactive Member erikaevexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2005
    Posts
    420
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    According to a google search, Ersel Hickey recorded Shame on Me in 1958

  4. #4
    Thy_Will_Not_Mine
    Guest Thy_Will_Not_Mine's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by Glenn Cole:
    Yes, "Shame On Me" is an old obscure rockabilly tune done by whom I forgot the arist's name. I also remember Ness saying that it was written sometime in the late 1950's. I got a "newer" version of Social Distortion doing it again during the sessions for "Sex, Love and Rock and Roll". It's incredible! It's my favorite cover that they do along with The Stones' "Backstreet Girl"...
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Could you send me the "newer" version of Shame On Me? My email is [email protected].

    And while we're on the subject, what exactly is on the sessions for SLRNR?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member RnROutlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    198
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The new recording of "shame on me" is from the advanced CD of Slarnr. The free give away for press, radio stations.. promotion stuff.
    I still don't like the new recording of this song, but the old dirty one kicks ass.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member JGoaten's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2003
    Posts
    285
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Social D's first version of Shame On Me was on the "Ball And Chain" promo cd.
    The writing credits on that cd are "E. Hickey and J. Ackerman". The song also appeared on the Canadian promo for "When the Angels Sing" as well as the full release European double pack of "When The Angels Sing" (disc 2).

    It has also been put on the "Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars" bootleg as well as both of the "Out of the Gutter" bootlegs.

    It's never been a regular live number but they did play it a resonable amount during 1992 and it was resurrected again during 2003, probably around the time they recorded the new version during the S,L&RnR sessions (I was lucky enough to see them play it at the HOB Anahiem in the Nov. that year).

    Just as a side - Ersel Hickey's version is on a couple of his currently available cd's including "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" & "Rockin' Bluebird".

    He also has a page at the Rockabilly Hall Of Fame - goto:www.rockabillyhall.com/ErselHickey.html



    Hope that helps with the info.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •